This is a professional program offering graduation in education. B.Ed program is of is of two years duration, each having 100 days excluding admissions, University examinations and preparatory holidays. The programme consists of three components. Theory, CE (practical work related to theory) and other practical work. Course content is divided into three areas, Perspectives in education (Core papers) Curriculum and Pedagogy courses (Optional papers) and related practical work. Our institution offers specialisation in 6 optional subjects i.e, English Mathematics, Physical science natural science social science commerce.
School induction program is for a period of one week during semester II. School internship will be for a period of 20 weeks divided into two phases. Phase 1 will be for a period of 10 weeks during semester III and Phase 2 arranged for another 10 weeks during semester IV.
Practical work related to Perspectives in Education and Curriculum and Pedagogy courses (CE) and ot.her practical courses with the field like college school and community based have to be compulsory attended by all the student teachers to be eligible for appearing for the semester and university examination. Records/Reports or Products related to CE and practical courses must be prepared and maintained and have to be made available for assessment.
.The total number of lessons required to be completed during Phase I is 40 and Phase II is 30. Practical work related to school internship Phase II and minor research project/action research case study have to be compulsory completed by all the student teachers to be eligible for appearing for the external practical examinations of Semester IV.
In the 4th semester Advanced Studies for both core papers and optional papers are included in the curriculum as EDU 14 and EDU 15 to achieve advanced learning in the area of Psychology, Technology and Methodology and its integration with practice to facilitate capacity building among student teachers.
Practicum, Capacity building program, Group practical – video script, Seminar presentation, Subject Association activities, Reading and Reflection on text,MCQ test battery, Consentisation program, Updating blogs etc are other features of the course.
Health and physical Education form and integral part of the course. Art education and theatre practice, Yoga health and Physical Education, Field trip envisaging education tour also form part of the course. Community base program like fieldtrip SUPW, Community living camp are compulsorily included in this course. Thus, the course curriculum ensured college based. school based and community-based activities for prospective teachers. Based on the course outline described above the program outcomes and course outcomes are envisioned.
Programme outcomes which refers to the general objectives of the B.Ed course is enlisted below.
1. To equip the prospective teachers capable to meet the challenges of education in a knowledge society.
2. To acquire and practice various teacher competencies through qualitative multi-level strategies and practices and the development of professionalism among them.
3. To identify and resolve the major social, intellectual and environmental issues / challenges faced by our pluralistic society and make use of the knowledge in nurturing/equipping the classroom learner to face those challenges.
4. To develop a proper value system based on the cultural, social, political and moral bases of Indian society.
5. To develop teacher-identity required of a professional through theoretical discourses, college- school – community based experiences, and reflective practices that continually evaluate the effects of his/her choices and actions.
6. To understand the central concepts, tools of inquiry, and structures of individual disciplines in the course and develop the ability to evolve meaningful learning experiences.
7. To imbibe knowledge and develop understanding of the various psychological, sociological, philosophical, environmental and technological principles and practices in respect of learners of different stages/multi-level and develop the ability to facilitate effective learning.
8. To make use of the pedagogical knowledge for effective verbal, nonverbal and media-based information and communication technologies in all facets of learning to foster active inquiry, collaboration, and supportive interaction in the classroom.
9. To conceptualize various formal and informal evidence-based performance assessment strategies and develop an ability to evaluate contextually the multidimensional development of the learner.
10. To generate adequate professional capacity for performing multiple roles entrusted on him/her, enabling him/her to compete in the national and international scenario.
11. To develop his/her managerial capacities in human relations for promoting human resources for national development.
12. To internalize appropriate theoretical and practical inputs in order to render an integrated- holistic understanding about physical fitness, developing positive attitudes, values, skills and behaviour related to health and physical education and to promote health and fitness for current and future lifestyles among student teachers.
13. To develop the aesthetic quality of the prospective teachers through Art Education, theatre practices…
Perspectives of Education (core Papers).
Nine areas/papers (EDU – 01, 02, 03, 06, 07, 08, 11, 12 and 14) have been included under this heading in order to develop among the student-teachers a realistic outlook about education and teacher in the Indian society. The objectives of this program include:
The prospective teacher
• Understands the meaning, significance and perspectives of education in the socio-cultural context.
• Understands the history, current issues and challenges of Indian Education and becomes capable of solving various problems of the society.
• Understands the developmental processes and needs of children and adolescents, the role of teacher in facilitating them.
• Acquaints with prominent psychological principles, theories of development and learning, and allied matters and make use of them in educational contexts.
• Understands the assumptions of ICT, Assessment and Evaluation, Management, Environment etc and makes use of them in practical life and classroom instruction.
• Acquires democratic and social values of an ideal teacher and develops skills and competencies in teaching and classroom management.
Curriculum and Pedagogic subjects (Optional Subjects)
Theoretical Base of the optional subject, (Techno) Pedagogic Content Knowledge Analysis, Curriculum and Resources in Digital Era, Emerging Trends and Practices & Advanced Studies in the subject area are the Optional Papers included under Curriculum and Pedagogic courses. Due consideration has been given to incorporate the latest trends in learning and pedagogical theories that touches various domains of the subject concerned. Keeping in mind the local cultural-historical-environmental and educational dimensions of Kerala an earnest effort has been undertaken to incorporate the spirit of the 21st century knowledge based economic circumstances and its divergent demands in the teacher education process through the respective course work of the optional paper. A clear demarcation of the methodology and the corresponding pedagogical analysis papers with respect to the respective optional subjects have been worked out which help for meaningful transaction of the optional curriculum. Revamping the concept of Pedagogical analysis to Pedagogic Content Knowledge (PCK) and its contemporary version of Techno-Pedagogic Content Knowledge (TPCK) Analysis have been accommodated to give a practical face to the curriculum. The following illustration may make things more clear.
The objectives of optional education include:
• To make the novice teacher understand the scope and nature of teaching the subject at different levels of learning.
• To introduce the challenging career of a teacher with a futuristic perspective, as an agent of social change.
• To develop practical field-based skills and experience in resource development and learning experience designing while transacting the curriculum.
• To provide the required research-based learning experience so as to undertake a habit of self-development through inquiry and investigation,
• To enrich the vision and capabilities of prospective teachers as reflective practitioners during and after the pre-service education.
• To design instructional and learner support mechanism-print, non-print, electronic and digital-appropriate for the learner needs and contextual requirements.
• To get a field-based understanding of theories and principles of pupil assessment and evaluation.
• To undertake a self-empowerment initiative in transacting the curriculum from a Techno-Pedagogic content Knowledge perspective.
• To identify the Entrepreneurial opportunities of futuristic significance associated with the subject.
• To develop a neo-humanistic attitude among the student-teachers in the light of Science-Technology-Society/Culture-Environment interaction paradigm.