The department of mathematics was started in the year 1960. Prof. A.G. George was in charge of the department. The department was started with the major objective of equipping student teachers with necessary skills and competencies to become effective teachers of mathematics at secondary level. The department provides adequate training to student teachers to develop good teaching skills, to transact the secondary school mathematics curriculum effectively, to prepare innovative teaching learning materials, to create the general awareness of student teachers in mathematics, to become proficient in modern innovative strategies suitable for stimulating and maintaining interest in learning mathematics which seems to be difficult and boring for students. The department has a good mathematics laboratory suitable for teaching/ learning mathematics up to higher secondary level. The class is equipped with interactive board and desktop computer with internet facility.
Prof. A.G. George B.Sc., M.Ed. 1960 -1990
Dr. Jibby George M.Sc., M.Ed., Ph.D 1990 –
- Conducts Discussion / Demonstration / Criticism Classes
- Conducts Microteaching sessions
- Preparation f teaching manuals
- Mathematics Awareness Enrichment Programme (MAEP)
- Preparation of Mathematics quiz book
- Preparation of following Manuscript Magazines
- Sruthi ( meant for enhancing the artistic/literary talents of students)
- Number Patterns
- Geometrical Patterns
- Quotes on Mathematics
- Training for preparing audio visual aids
- Training for innovations in mathematics including strategies, models etc.
- Conducts extempore on various topics on education and compilation of the same.
- Conducts seminars on different topics including history and development of mathematics, various methods of teaching,
- Documentation on Mathematics
- Preparation of radio lessons
- Seminars/ Workshops for mathematics teacher educators
- Mathematics Exhibition
- Observation birth/ death days of Mathematicians
- Creation of Blog and creating posts on various topics in mathematics
- Seminars on various topics in the B.Ed. mathematics curriculum
- Preparation of various models of teaching
- Subject Association- GANITHA
- Quiz competition for secondary school students
Conducts Study tours
Besides the department has a librarystacked with books related to science teaching. It has a method lab also. The class has an Interactive White Board with Wi-Fi facility. AComputer with network facility is also there for students.