The Department of Education was started in the year 1963 with Dr.C.T.Abraham as Lecturer. Till 1981, there was only one post of lecturer in Education. In 1981 a new post was sanctioned and Dr.J Exemmal was appointed as Lecturer in education . Under the able leadership and vision of former Principals and the lecturers in the department , a number of extension activities were organized .Smt.Annie Paul was appointed as lecturer in education when Dr. J.Exammal was appointed as the Assistant Co- ordinator of Academic staff college in 1989(and later joined the University of Kerala, Dept.of Education.). Prof.Thomas Uzhuvath was appointed as Lecturer in Education in 1989.Sri.Annie Paul retired in 2005 and Prof.Thomas Uzhuvath retired in 2016.
At present there are three permanent faculty members in the Department.
1.Smt.Alie Molly Verghis 5-06-2009
2.Dr. Sony Mary Varghese 10-06-2009
ACTIVITIES OF THE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
- A paper presentation contest in psychology ‘focus’ teacher trainees was being conducted by the department since 2010. The intention behind this programme is to develop presentation as well as communication skill among the teacher trainees.
- John and Joseph Lecture on Education
- Varghese Chandy Memorial Lecture in Psychology
- Community Surveys
Surveys on a functions and activities of school were conducted by the student teacher during practice teaching. It is beneficial for the student teacher in their future profession.
- Action Research undertaken in Practice teaching schools
- SWOC Analysis of Practice teaching schools
- Pamphlet Distribution in the community as well as practice teaching schools
- Awareness classes in the practice teaching schools
- Campus cleaning in elementary schools
- Practicing Innovation Assessment Techniques (Rubrics, CAT, HOT Potatoes, Open Book Test)
- Solid waste management techniques were practiced in practice teaching schools
- Conducted awareness classes on familiarization of local medicinal plants in practice teaching schools
- Psychological experiments / tests were attempted in the laboratory settings
- Guidance sessions on various topics is handled by the teacher educators of the department
- Training is provided in the preparation of Value education lesson plans
- Eloquency Training Programme for teacher trainees
- Preparation of self-learning materials on various topics in education and special education
- MCQ’s are prepared in Assessment, Technology and Psychology
- Visits to special schools are conducted to familiarise the methods and curriculum for special children.
- Introduced the innovative approaches of learning in an inclusive classroom
- Provision of printed learning materials to teacher trainees to prepare for university examinations
- Enabled the students to prepare portfolios to record student artifacts.
- Training is provided in various skills of teaching and recorded.
- Value education classes were provided during class hours
- Awareness class on drug abuse and sexual harassment for secondary school students
- Familiarisation of various tools in education is provided
- Enrichment activities for gifted (Webquest)
- Survey on Women empowerment is conducted in the practice teaching schools
- Familiarisation of online tests as part of ICT integrated assessment